[Exim] Exim - Connection is slow to initiate

Author: John Reddin
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim - Connection is slow to initiate
Hello,
Currently we have two servers running OpenBsd 3.1, and Exim v3.34. We
have a web server that is trying to send an E-mail (confirmation of
registration) via either of these servers. The mail is delivered, but it
takes up to 30 seconds to leave the web server (a long time for the user to
wait). When I telnet to either server on port 25, it takes up to 30 seconds
for the banner to be displayed. If I use another protocol (ssh etc.) the
connection is almost instantaneous. Question, what is Exim doing that takes
so long! I have covered our ip address range in the host_accept_relay
field, and I have tried the exim -bh with the IP address or the web server -
the response is very quick. I may be confusing issues here, but any help
would be appreciated.

Regards,
John Reddin
INTUITION
International Financial Services Centre
Custom House Quay
Dublin 1

Phone : +353 1605 4306
Fax : +353 1605 4301

The email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and privileged
are addressed. Any unauthorised direct or indirect dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. The views expressed in this message are not those of Intuition
Publishing Limited or any associated company.