Re: [Exim] Exim Mirror (website/ftp)

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
CC: Odhiambo G. Washington
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Mirror (website/ftp)
On 2004-05-07 at 18:35 +0300, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
> I have some space and I'd like to create a mirror in Kenya.
> I wanted to find out the best way to do it. After reading about rsync,
> I wonder if the below would suffice, apart from the ftp dir mapping in httpd:

> /usr/local/bin/rsync -vvaW --stats --delete --timeout=600 ftp.exim.org::ftp $EXIM_FTP_DIR

> How do the others do it? Just comparing notes ;-(

ftp.demon.nl uses:
rsync -rlpt ftp.exim.org::ftp /pub/mirrors/exim
in the crontab of a non-privileged user.

> chown -R www:www $EXIM_DIR

You also probably do _not_ want to do that chown!

If the web-server is running as user www:www, then anything which is
writably by www:www will be modifiable by any CGI script not running as
another user, or by any compromise of the web-server.  Let the Unix
kernel work for you, to provide layered defense.  Have the contents be
owned by another user and readable by www:www.
--
Phil Pennock,  Senior Systems Administrator,  Demon Internet Netherlands
NL Sales: +31 20 422 20 00      Thus Plc      NL Support: 0800 33 6666 8