Re: [Exim] Callout verification

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout verification
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 11:10:46AM +0100, Andy Fletcher wrote:
> callout. Please let me know if I'm missing a vital point here :-)

The vital point that you're missing is that you need to be treating a
callout in the same way as you treat a delivery.

If you're doing a sender callout, that's the equivalent of delivering a
bounce to the sender.

If you're doing a recipient callout, that's the equivalent of delivering
a message to the recipient.

In both cases, the callout is just to go through part of the transaction,
but never to send DATA.

The reason for it being a bounce is that a bounce is the only thing you
are likely to send in an automated way to transpose the sender into a
recipient.

In the case of a recipient callout, then you have both pieces of information
properly.

Bear in mind that some recipient addresses do not have to be valid senders
(eg. role-accounts, lists etc).

Hope this makes it a bit clearer

MBM

--