Re: [Exim] Anything wrong with rejecting bounces for address…

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Anything wrong with rejecting bounces for addresses which don't send mail?
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:05:37PM +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> I've now started rejecting mails which have null envelope senders and
> are addressed to some of these "receive-only" addresses, with the
> response:
> | This address does not send mail; nondelivery reports are rejected as fakes.
> Does the team think this is a reasonable thing to do? Is the message
> clear enough? Am I missing some unexpected knock-on effect? Sure,
> we'll now also repudiate this address if a callout is attempted for
> it, but as it's only active for receipt of mail (viz. mail which has
> non-null envelope sender), and never actually sends anything, this
> seems to me to be not only harmless, but possibly even beneficial, no?

I'm doing this too, and in addition, I don't accept mail with an envelope
from address of these addresses. The callouts thing seems totally valid to
me, if someone does a callout, and their sender-smtp is presenting this
kind of sender address, it's a fake, and so I'm quite happy to reject the
bounce.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/