[Exim] adding a reply-to header, or rewriting the from addre…

Author: Jon Bendtsen
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] adding a reply-to header, or rewriting the from address for all outgoing messages based on /etc/passwd or windows domain lookup
I want to look up the users email address based on the username and
rewrite the sender address based on the username, or adding a reply-to
header with this information.

I tried to look into a system wide filter, but from the documentation i
dont believe i can do what i want to do, so i checked the FAQ, finding
Q0804        http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ_8.html#TOC261
Q0901        http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ_9.html#TOC266

partly interresting, but not completely forfilling my wish.

I store the email address in the /etc/passwd file, or for some users, i
would need to do a lookup into a real windows domain if that is
possible.

I would like to avoid creating an additional file that contains
usernames and email addresses, and do the lookup first
in /etc/passwd, and then in the windows domain (and adding the email
address to /etc/passwd so i next time can do a lookup faster).

i'm unsure of how i can make progress, so i would like some advice from
people that has a bigger understanding of exim, especialy exim
filtering and the posibilities i have.

JonB