[Exim] Re: exim3 is OpenRelay

Author: Miquel van Smoorenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: exim3 is OpenRelay
In article <009b01c4321e$4e033fe0$045311ac@???>,
Karel W. Dingeldey <karel@???> wrote:
>Hello Miquel.
>
>> Did you by accident, or on purpose, configure exim to forward
>unknown
>> local users to a smarthost? That would have this exact same effect.
>
>Yes, exim has to forwards my own domains to an internal mailserver.
>Outgoing mail is forwarded to the ISP's mailserver.
>How can I change the current behaviour of exim? I don't want to change
>to exim4 as someone else said.

Ah. In that case, in the director or router that forwards to the
remote host, explicitly check for '@", "!" and "%" in local_part.
Something like

    condition = ${if match {$local_part}{@!%} {no} {yes} }

.. you get the idea. If you're using a director for forwarding
to a smarthost, you can also put a "refuse" director first:

check_localpart:
driver = smartuser
condition = ${if match {$local_part}{@!%} {yes} {no} }
allow_fail
new_address = :fail:Illegal characters in localpart

(note that in this case, yes and no are reversed)

You probably want to set

receiver_verify = true

in the main config so that the check is done at SMTP time.

All basic exim configuration stuff, really ;)

Mike.