Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic

Top Pagina
Auteur: Development - multi.art.studio
Aan: Yves Goergen
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic
Yves Goergen wrote:

> Philip must have meant tailing in the -f style. That is, you write a

yes, i was incorrect, my first thought was that tail -f breaks when a
file was
deleted and touched again with no content.... but it doesnt :)

> I would have to combine this with storing the message IDs in some way
> and decide when to count this delivery, and whether for one or two
> users. But I see two problems with this for now:
>
> 1) How long should I store the message ID entries? Can I rely on a
> "Completed" message to be written? What about frozen messages that were
> never actually delivered?
>
> 2) How can I determine what log lines were already processed, when the
> parser is restarted? Maybe I'd have to note the date anywhere and only
> count traffic logged after this date.

good point. i didnt think of that, and decided to forget tailing my
maillogs.

imho a local scan would be the *easiest way*, for a good 'c' programmer,
(maybe if i got stoned enough i will look at the sa-exim patch and steal
some lines from the source , add it into localscan and simply write the
mailsize into a file together with local_part and domain , but this
would be a lucky thing if it works.)

i theory, i think adding a one or two line in a quota like function, if
enabled, exim calls this function and uses a custom function to add a
line to the database or a dbm/csv file we can generate a report from easily.
no, i think this could be done with a router.....and changing sources
would be crazy *lol, lets forget this.

another idea:
is there a way to do this by generating an additional custom logfile
like apache does?
i think this would be the *most effective solution* to have custom
logfiles.....can this be done easily? are rules exist to do that?

....ok i will stop thinking now. i simply write down my ideas here,
maybe somebody get another idea.

greetings
volker

---pizzaware for all!---