Re: [Exim] Delaying secondary mail exchange

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Delaying secondary mail exchange
Hi Segree,, on Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:59:20 -0500 you wrote:

> I have a ADSL that hosts mail using exim and I have a secondary MX at my
> ISP.
> Is there a way I can do a delay on my secondary mail server (I want to
> do this with hopes of slowing down Spammers because my ISP isn't using
> any type of SPAM software).

Lose the secondary MX. I'm serious; see many previous discussions on this
and other lists about why this really is a good idea. You probably don't
really need it, and not only is it acting as a backdoor for spam for you,
but is probably causing the generation of spam to other people (because
mail sent to bad recipients on the secondary MX will most likely be
accepted and queued, the subsequently rejected when it is sent on to you,
causing a bounce to some likely-forged sender).

Alternatively,

a) rent a virtual/colocated/managed machine yourself and set it up as your
secondary MX with the same policies you use on the primary. It can be
surprisingly cheap. Bytemark Hosting here in the UK, with whom I have
absolutely no connection but have good experience of, do LVM (virtual
machines where you have full root access) for UKP15/month (that's about
USD25). http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/

b) find a provider who will co-operate in providing a backup MX with
strong spam-fighting policies and (at least) callouts to your machine to
reject recipients at SMTP time wherever possible.

Tim