Re: [Exim] Is SPF for me?

Autor: Scott Courtney
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Is SPF for me?
On Friday 23 April 2004 23:01, Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - Trying to grasp the SPF concept.
>
> I do email hosting for a variety of domains, but I'm not an ISP. My
> users are unsophisticated and spread out - often mobile.
>
> Some tunnel back to my server to send email from "the source" but most
> use their local ISP for outgoing SMTP service.

I have a similar situation. Without specifically commenting on SPF, I would
offer an additional suggestion. Set up Exim to support authenticated SMTP,
and encourage your road warriors to set up their email clients to use ASMTP
right back to your local server, rather than relaying through a local ISP.

This is working well in my installation, and it completely dodges the
problem of sending "from" your domain via an SMTP server outside your control,
because you now can vouch for the legitimacy of messages received at your
server via ASMTP (assuming users don't hand out their passwords or pick
trivially guessable ones).

This isn't exactly the information you sought, but I thought it might be
helpful.

Authenticated SMTP is supported by most modern email client programs, including
KMail (and others) on Linux and Outlook Express (and others) on Windows.

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them