Re: [Exim] CRAM-MD5 & encrypted passwords

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] CRAM-MD5 & encrypted passwords
Hi Marcel, on Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:59:35 +0200 you wrote:

> I successfully configured exim to use the /etc/shadow with plaintext
> authentication but I can't figure out how to do this with cram-md5.

You can't. CRAM-MD5 requires that you have a plaintext copy of the
password on the server. (Limitation of the algorithm, which needs to have
the original password around to compute a hash, not Exim).

You may need to look at using another authentication method over SSL, if
you want to use /etc/shadow as an authentication source.

Tim