Re: [Exim] About intsalling sendmail and using different mai…

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] About intsalling sendmail and using different mail servers together
Hi Vahric, on Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:23:24 +0300 you wrote:

> I wonder why I have to link exim to sendmail for run exim ?!!

You don't. It's just that normally people are replacing sendmail with
Exim, and lots of software by default expects to be able to call
/usr/bin/sendmail (and/or other similar paths). So, it's normally
convenient to create symlinks to make the replacement of sendmail easier
and more transparent.

> And I want to run two mail servers on same linux box. I will have
> two different ip addresses and sendmail will run one of them exim other
> of them . it's look like possible , I wonder does anybody have an
> experience?!

Ouch. It certainly sounds possible (you can certainly make Exim listen on
one interface only), but would be rather unusual, and definitely has
potential for some confusion! Is there any particular reason why you need
to run two different MTAs? What is the function that you must run sendmail
for, which Exim can't fulfil?

Tim