Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jethro R Binks
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Drav Sloan wrote:

> Jethro R Binks wrote:
> > I agree entirely; however in practice that doesn't always happen, because
> > of faulty MUAs and faulty MTAs which don't report back SMTP level error
> > messages, especially if it is a multi-line response.
>
> That is the fault of the NON-RFC sending MTA (or the receiving MUA). Not
> yours. You go by RFC and anyone else who doesn't, well tough. There is
> reasons for the standards, and non standard hacks generally leave you
> in world of pain.

"tough" isn't always an acceptable answer in the Real World (ironic
considering your own email domain!). Nevertheless, I more or less agree.
My management may not, if the issue raises its head high enough up the
(monkey) tree, but that's how it stands right now.

> Yes, and as such thats their problem. Just dont be sucked into the
> false idea that notifications make your MTA more 'friendly'. The
> reality is that you have an MTA which has scamp regard to RFC and
> generally will pollute the internet with rubbish.

Between these messages, I was contacted by a company with exactly this
problem. Their MTA returned only the first line of my multi-line error
message. Here is the banner from the MTA:

220 somesite.co.uk Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.0
ready at Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:32:03 +0100

Try not to look too astonished -- this is an Exchange 2003 server. While
I agree with other comments made recently that the latest version is much
better than previous ones, with regard to ability to turn on SMTP RCPT
rejections etc, it appears it still has problems.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK