Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 05:00:03AM -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:19:09PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > > As I've said already. Auto-notification is not only idiotic, it creates
> > > more damage than good. Quite often with viruses the sender address is
> > Slightly off-topic, but what is your (and other people's) opinion on
> > auto-notification on blacklisting due to mailing bait addresses? I'm
> > still falling on the side of "I'd rather send them the notification
> > that they've been blacklisted", then they can ignore it or act on it
> > as they wish.
> No, the problem here is that the hsotmaster contact in the DNS SOA is
> absolutely 100% the WRONG place to send these notification and they
> should NEVER be sent there.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I snipped the bit about hostmaster
contacts, because I wanted to discuss auto-notification in general.

Currently, I notify the return-path on a sender blacklist, and the
postmaster@[ip.add.re.ss] or postmaster@???
on a host blacklist.

> There were two possible locations where are suitable: abuse@ and
> postmaster@. The particular domain may indicate others on a web page.
> That particular IP's whois may provide another in the whois record. But
> hostmaster is never the right place.

whois is the wrong place for auto-notifications, because it's against the
whois terms and conditions to a) do auto-lookups, and b) send automatic
mail to the contacts listed within, I believe.

> Aside from the concern that it is the wrong place to send it, if these
> addresses start getting spammed to death it will make maintaining them
> as reliable points of contact for valid hostmaster business nearly
> impossible.

Oh, totally agreed. I think I'm going to snip the rest of this, because
I didn't intend for my message to be a discussion about the SOA contact
address.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/