Re: [Exim] exim 3.2 returning attachments after a non-delive…

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 3.2 returning attachments after a non-delivery
Hi Bettina, on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:41:26 +0200 you wrote:

> we still use exim 3.2.

Worth upgrading then :)

> How do I find out, what exim does with a rejected email (incl.
> attachment) exactly.
> Does it returns the whole attachment? or doesn't it?

It depends what kind of rejection you are doing. If you are rejecting (for
example) bad recipients at SMTP time, a bounce message is not generated by
your local copy of Exim - therefore if a bounce message is generated at
all, it will be at the upstream SMTP server, and what is returned is
completely outside of your control (beyond, possibly, the SMTP error
message) and at the discretion of the upsteam server.

If for some reason you accept mail and then bounce it (which should be
avoided wherever possible), then you're right that the return size limit
as defined in the Exim config is the main relevant option. Exim itself
does not parse MIME messages, so doesn't actually know about "attachments"
as such; it just generates a bounce which (by default) incorporates the
original message body, subject to the return size limit. Therefore
attachments will be returned, as long as they are smaller than the return
size limit, otherwise they will be truncated. However, the attachments
will typically not appear as "attachments" to the recipient of the NDN,
because Exim just returns the entire message source in one block, without
reformatting the MIME etc.

Tim