[Exim] 'senders' option to routers in version >=4.31

Author: Dave Turner
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] 'senders' option to routers in version >=4.31
Hi,

My previous messages were a little unclear as I was having trouble working
out what my problem actually was. I hope this is a litle clearer.

The following is an excerpt from my exim.conf

- ---

begin routers

smarthost:
    driver = manualroute
    domains = ! +local_domains
    transport = remote_smtp
    senders = dct25@???
    route_list = * smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk
mailswitch:
    driver = manualroute
    domains = ! +local_domains
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = * ppsw.cam.ac.uk

- ---

As of exim 4.31, this doesn't seem to work. The culprit seems to be change
#55 in the 4.31 Changelog, which as I understand it sets sender_address=<>
throughout the procedure of deciding which router to use, so the 'senders'
option to the smarthost router above does not work, and the mailswitch
router is always selected.

A further problem is that local mail originates from addresses
*@dct25.clare.cam.ac.uk, which I wish to rewrite as dct25@??? on
any message that leaves the system. I have the following in my exim.conf.

- ---

begin rewrite

*@dct25.clare.cam.ac.uk    dct25@???    Ffrs

- ---

This succeeds and the envelope sender is rewritten as desired, but then
sender_address is set to <> and it is later restored to its original,
unrewritten, state, and my mail is rejected by ppsw.cam.ac.uk for having
an unroutable sender address. The culprit would again appear to be change
#55 in the 4.31 Changelog.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had made some slight misconfiguration - my
exim.conf has been evolving since version 3.xx - but I can't work out what
it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

- --
Dave Turner