Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH for Exim on Debian install...

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH for Exim on Debian install...
On 2004-04-18 Jonathan Telep <jtelep@???> wrote:
> Does anyone know which Debian PAM packages I need to have installed
> on my server for Exim to be able to use SMTP AUTH in order to
> authenticate users?

None. Exim can do SMTP AUTH fine without using PAM. Authentication
information can be pulled from flat files, *SQL, LDAP, ...

> I looked in Aptitude and there must be over 30 entries for "libpam".

And every single one of the has a useful package desription that
aptitude will glady show. SCNR. ;-)

> I was curious, so I wouldn't have to install every one, which one(s)
> I need to have installed for this to work.

See above. We have no idea by which means you are managing
authentication on your machine.

/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.SMTP-AUTH
| if you want to authenticate against
| system passwords (e.g. /etc/shadow) I suggest to use saslauthd in the
| Debian package sasl2-bin. [...]

               cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"