Re: [Exim] @mx_any and 127.0.0.1

Author: Dean Brooks
To: Dickenson, Steven
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] @mx_any and 127.0.0.1
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:57:14AM -0400, Dickenson, Steven wrote:

> > I am currently testing out exim and it's filtering functionality on
> > this domain but I usually set the MX entry of that domain to
> > 127.0.0.1, as well as all other requests.
>
> If you're doing this, why even both with an MX for the domain, or any hosts
> in the zone for that matter?

Exactly what I always wondered. What in the heck is the point of
pointing an MX record to something invalid, when simply removing
MX and A records does the job much more wonderfully, and presents
a better error to the end user (invalid domain instead of connection
errors).

Spammers usually try direct delivery to A records anyway, so having
bogus MX records to fend away attempts to the A record is pointless.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???