Re: [Exim] Frozen deferred messages

Author: gARetH baBB
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen deferred messages
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, A. Wik wrote:
>
> > The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> > user@???: smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000e: terminated by signal 14
>
> That is odd. Exim should be running with a signal handler enabled for
> SIGALRM; it sets this up right at the start of each Exim process. Thus,
> no process should ever be killed by SIGALRM.
>
> What operating system are you using? It is possible that the signal
> handler setting is not being preserved over fork()?

I remember reporting signal 14 weirdness some time ago, and then I
upgraded the box (and Exim) and it all went away never to return.

But the other week I replaced 3.36 with 4.30 on an old Linux box running
2.2.16, and I've noticed signal 14 stuff in the log file (well, once).

And again, like last time, it does it on frozen deferred stuff on the
queue which is unfrozen and a queue runner tries to deliver it (and
fails). It wasn't the only frozen deferred queue item, the rest tried to
be delivered and failed normally (it's spam stuff).

I'm not concerned about it myself, the box in question will be upgraded
fairly shortly anyway.