Re: [Exim] is this safe?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Odhiambo G. Washington
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] is this safe?
* Dan Egli <bitwize@???> [20040412 04:19]: wrote:

Hi Dan,

> Well, after doing a lot of research on the web, I found that people had
> had similiar PAM problems in Exim 3.xx, and that setting exim_user =
> root had fixed it.

Are you saying that you are running Exim 3.xx. Were it not Easter
Monday, and because you are already shooting yourself in the foot, I'd
put a gun on your head and fire off!! ;)

> So I tried it, and it worked at first, but then complained that user
> root in the remote_smtp was in the never_users list.

IIRC, that message requires that you define an alias for root, so that
root@??? -> bitwize@???....

> So I disabled the never_users option. It seems to work great now,
> but I want to make sure I'm not asking for problems in the future using
> this setup.

So are you saying that you are running Exim 3.xx?? And happily shooting
yourself in the foot despite all the warnings. Really Easter makes
people loose their guard. I did not imagine you could do this.

> Anyone else done this? What was your result?

They are all dead, so expect no answer from them. Dead men tell no
tales.

You know what? I found the SASLAUTHD option with Exim 4.x to have taken
all the load off my chest. I discarded all the funny scripts that I used
for handling ASMTP and settled for SASLAUTHD in production. I do admin
thought that I still have PWCHECK on some boxes, but that is just
because I haven't had the time to convert them.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post