Re: [Exim] Recipient callout problem

Author: Tony Finch
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Recipient callout problem
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> There are 2 possible uses for recipient callout verification:-
>       * Does this recipient exist? - sender is basically irrelevant,
>         result can be cached keyed on the recipient only.  However this
>         requires some knowledge of the recipient site's policies (ie
>         will sender=<> work - there are valid cases where it may not)

e.g. dwdm2's secure return path hack, in which visible email addresses (in
my case dot@??? or fanf2@???) are never used as the return path
of a message, so should never receive a bounce. (I use an insecure return
path hack, since I send email from accounts with rarely-published email
addresses.)

>       * Can this message (with this sender & recipient) be delivered? -
>         sender is very relevant, caching needs to be based on
>         sender/recipient tuple.

There's an intermediate stage that is useful for the SRP case,
which is to test the recipient address with a return path of
<postmaster@$qualify_domain>

--
Tony Finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/