Re: [Exim] RE: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adre…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] RE: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen u
Bruce Richardson wrote:

> Having done a brief bit of lunchtime research, this might be useful for
> both 5.5. and 2000:
>
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7696

Even after reading the article and the majority of the postings, I am still
of my original opinion, that if you are running an Exchagne server, it
needs, well MUST be on version 2003.

All of the 'work arounds' that do not involve third party software
installed directly on the Exchange server, or not putting another server
in front of Exchagne 5.5/2000, are not really corrections to the problems
they try to solve. What it comes down to is this, Exchange 5.5 and 2000
were never designed to do RCPT verification before the message has been
accepted for any domain that the server sees as 'local'. Going along with
a posting from Tim (I believe) he is correct, even in Exchange 2003
RCPT checks are not turned on by default because MS for some reason has a
very flawed stance on the consequences of doing so (see next line).

Straight from the MS "Exchange Server 2003 Transport and Routing Guide"
<QUOTE>
Note
Selecting the Filter recipients who are not in the Directory check box can
potentially allow malicious senders to discover valid e-mail addresses in
your Exchange organization.
</QOUTE>

That is just a flawed look at the world, but at least you can now reject
based on non-existant users at RCPT time :P

Of course that line from MS goes to show any real reasons that they did
not have this functionality before, to protect you ;)

--

--EAL--