[Exim] Re: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: [Exim] Re: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Hi Bauer,, on Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:26:45 +0200 you wrote:
>
> > There shouldn't be a need to check at exim if the recipient is ok,
> > it's just a mailrelay.
>
> Whilst technically you could just allow all mail in at the Exim point,
> given the prevalence of spam and viruses these days, I and others would
> plead with you to continue your quest to check whether the recipient is
> valid at the point where the mail hits Exim.

Sure thing.

Only yesterday I got a whining mail from some "forwarding" service,
which I'd better not name here, complaining that they had got
themselves blacklisted in Spamcop for spamming. I could see from the
samples at Spamcop that they'd been blacklisted for what we call
"collateral spam" ( useful web page at
http://www.ja.net/mail/junk/collateral.html )

In fact, they had sent us a non-delivery report for a virus which had
faked one of our addresses as sender - and their non-delivery report
came complete with a copy of the virus. Bleagh.

"originate spam" and ought not to have been blacklisted at Spamcop.
Idiots.

So now they don't just collect spamassassin points for being in
Spamcop, but they're in our local blacklist for rejection. Fair do's?