Re: [Exim] refused relay (host) to...

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: Jonathan Telep
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] refused relay (host) to...
* Jonathan Telep <jtelep@???> [20040406 05:38]: wrote:
> I hope someone can help me:
>
> I've set up a Debian server running Exim 3.35-1 (I know it's older but no
> matter what I do I can't seem to find an updated Exim package for Debian
> from any of the "apt" sources.

You either did "nothing" or wasn't serious with your search. Start from
here:

http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/

Shall we therefore answer your questions after you've installed
Exim-4.31?
These guys knowledge on Exim 3.x is thoroughly eroded because it's long
since Exim 4.x came out. I believe it's over 2 years.

> I don't have a whole lot of experience doing this but I'm confident that,
> with a little coaching, I can probably get it working the way I want it to.

Oh yes.

> So far I've found that the server will accept and deliver, via POP3, all
> mail addressed to any users that are part of the domain to which it belongs.

It delivers, but _not_ via POP3. It uses SMTP.

> The problem I'm having is that I can't get it to send mail anywhere (to
> any domain). I compose the mail and send it but, in the Exim rejectlog I
> keep seeing the same message:
>
> 2004-04-05 22:24:56 refused relay (host) to <jtelep@???> from
> <jtelep@???> H=d47-69-211-93.try.wideopenwest.com (6-allhosts)
> [69.47.93.211]

What does the line with "host_accept_relay =" contain? I believe it
should also have "localhost" as part of that list. Again, I don't
remember well. Please install Exim 4.31.

> I really haven't spend any time "fine tuning" the Exim configuration file
> because I don't understand most of it.

The default configure file (configure.default) has comments that tell you
what the various options in there are for.

> I ran through the original set up and answered all of the questions it asked
> me (to the best of my knowledge).

Questions?? You used some script of this is what Debian does normally
when you install a package?

> I'm sure it's probably one line I'm missing but I don't know which line I
> need to edit and what information I'm supposed to put into it.

I think it is the one I mentioned above ;)

> If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this I'd really
> appreciate it.

The best idea here is to install Exim 4.x from the links above. Then you
will be comfortable.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post