Re: [Exim] routing based on network Interface availability

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sven Geggus
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] routing based on network Interface availability
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Sven Geggus wrote:

> Im using an "interface = foobar" line in an SMTP transport. This works fine
> as long as the Interface with the given IP (a ppp Interface) does exist.
>
> It will however fail if the Interface does not exist.
>
> Would it be possible to check for the availability of this Interface in a
> router already using another transport in this case?

Not easy within the structure of the Exim code. As far as I know, the
only way to check that you can bind a socket to an interface is to
attempt to do so.

If you want to check in a router, you can write a program or script of
your own to do the check, and then call it using ${run ... That would
allow you to run a particular router conditionally.