Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
iane@??? wrote:

> --On Friday, April 2, 2004 12:58 am -0600 Edgar Lovecraft

> > No more destructive with proper backups than having the files spread
> > over thousands of individual files.
>
> That might depend on how many thousands of emails you process between
> the time that you backup and the time that your database gets hosed.
> Of course, its more complicated than that.
>
> What's the restore procedure if I accidentally trash a mailbox? Can
> exchange roll back the transaction,

Exchange has had transaction support for the DB's for a long time.

> or do I have to restore the entire database? What if I expunge? What if a
> client comes to me and asks me to restore a mailbox to the state that it
> was in last Friday?

these all depend heavily on what tools you have used to backup the
databases, but in general with proper tools, yes you can restore individual
mailboxes without resoring the entire database.

further more Exchange is different exactly how from any other Database when
you have the proper tools? And you currently support your users with the
all of the above criterea with what tools? and in what mailbox format?

I fail to see how anything you stated is in any way different than the
backup/restore, rollback 'nightmares/coniderations' of any other form of
mailbox storage.

--

--EAL--