Re: [Exim] How EXIM System Filter work with EXIM 4.x

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How EXIM System Filter work with EXIM 4.x
Hi Silly, on Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:42:04 -0800 (PST) you wrote:

> I'm using system_filter.exim of Nigel Metheringham
> with EXIM 3.22 version for mail filtration.

Aaaarrrghhh. I suspect I'm shouting into a void here, and it's been said
many times, but if there happen to be any lurkers using either Exim 3 or
4, with Nigel's "block executable attachments" filter, please stop, now!
You are generating spam to the entire world (I see your spam every day),
and almost certainly giving Exim an undeserved bad name into the bargain.
And aside from that, it's unreliable and "bad" mail WILL slip through it.

> is there any possiblilty to hook system_filter language with EXIM 4.x
> ???

Please don't. The script is old and generates spam. There are much better
solutions with Exim 4. Use Exiscan instead.
http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/ . You can do attachment blocking,
reliably, reject at SMTP time and *much* more, such as easily hooking in
SpamAssassin or a proper virus scanner. Read this if you need some help
getting started:

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/Exim-SpamAndVirusScanning.pdf

Tim