Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.31-16

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Bruce Richardson, 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.31-16
Bruce Richardson wrote:

> According to rfc2046, boundary strings should not be more than 70
> characters (not counting the two leading hyphens). It's also illegal to
> have an empty boundary string. I don't know if, in practice, any
> current mail clients violate the legal maximum length (those that I have

They do. If you run a strict RFC-conformant shop and reject all
violators, you'll lose a lot of bona-fide mail :)

The boundary limit with "demime" was intended to prevent eventual buffer
overflows in client software. When you do not reject on MIME errors,
"demime" tries to be as tolerant as possible (making a best-effort),
emulating Microsoft product behaviour.

With the MIME ACL, you can do some of the checks yourself. I'll also fit
some of the decoding checks (base64 violations) into the MIME ACL when I
have the time.

regards,

/tom