Re: [Exim] why is exim adding headers?

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] why is exim adding headers?
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:25:28AM +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was almost running crazy with the Perl-Module MIME::Lite while I
> thought that it was adding headers. But then I found out, that it wasn't
> the module, it was exim! Although I'm calling exim (through a symlink at
> /usr/sbin/sendmail) with the option -flehmann@???, two headers are
> added, that I don't want to see:

> Sender: Nobody <nobody@???>
>
> It seems to be because of the user "nobody" at which the webserver and
> the perl-script is running. These headers aren't added when the emails
> are sent through any other user.

That will be because other users are sending mail only for themselves,
whereas the nobody user is being used to send mail for other people.

> Why is that?

It lets you track people who are pretending to be somebody else.

> How can I disable it? It
> looks ugly and is completely useless (at least for me).

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_14.html#SECT14.3

You could disable local_from_check and enable local_sender_retain or you
add the webserver user to trusted_users.

BTW, the nobody user isn't intended for that use. It's potentially
insecure. Telling Exim to trust "nobody" is a bad idea. You should
really create a specific user for the webserver and have it run as that.
That done, adding the webserver user to trusted_users is IMO the best
option.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.