Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Miles Davis
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Edgar Lovecraft
Υ/ο: 'exim-dev@exim.org'
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:51:39PM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> Nico Erfurth wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering why nothing happens here anymore. :-/
> >
> well, perhpas to get it going again...
> Regardless of any previous discussions :)
> It appears to me that most of the talk on this list have been revolving
> around the current exim release, is this really what we want?
> In other words, how about taking this approach, let the current exim 4.xx
> continue to be developed as it is by Phillip, as he has done in the past.
> Take the new hardware/software that the University said it would supply and
> start on the Exim 5.x software release on that, and with multiple
> developers. Not that 'old' code could not/should not be a part of the
> development, but it seems to me it would be easier 'to start from scratch'
> than to move a fully developed project to the herds.
> Thoughts anyone?
> --

While doing rewrites is on occasion neccesary, in this case (and most
others IMHO) starting from scratch would be a major setback. The current
codebase has been tested by a large community for quite some time, and it
would be wasteful to throw out that accumulated knowledge. Personally,
whenever I heard that the next version of Software Project X will be a
complete rewrite (usually a proudly proclaimed, 'from the ground up'
redesign), I run away, fast.

--
// Miles Davis - miles@??? - http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~miles
// Computer Science Department - Computer Facilities