Re: [Exim] What goes where?

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What goes where?
> I want any auto-generated responses (particularly bounces, failures
> etc, but ideally also out-of-office and vacation) to go to
> bounce@???

Postfix allows this in violation of the standards. The return path on
administrative messages is supposed to be <>. Always. Postfix breaking
this standard is a real pain, because it makes it much harder if you
want to create ACLs that treat ordinary messages one way, administrative
messages another. Personally, I take the viewpoint that if some Postfix
admins are going to break the standard, I'm going to ignore them.

Rewrite the sender address on ordinary messages if you like. Exim
provides rewriting rules which you can apply to individual transports or
to all messages. Don't rewrite the sender address on NDRs and the like
- you're only hurting yourself.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin