Re: [Exim] remote_smtp - Error 550 Relay Not Permitted

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] remote_smtp - Error 550 Relay Not Permitted
Jon Morrison wrote:

> From the cmd prompt I am able to use the 'exim -bt
> <user@???>' command to compose and send email when logged
> in as root. If i'm logged in as my self I get the following error
> message
>
> $ /usr/exim/bin/exim -v jonmorrison99@???
> From: lmorrison@???
> To: jonmorrison99@???
> Subject: dsfgh
> rfgiohbh
> LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
> Failed to create spool file
> /var/spool/exim/input//1B6IqK-0002tr-4k-D: Permission denied
> 2004-03-24 19:36:31 1B6IqK-0002tr-4k Failed to create spool file
> /var/spool/exim/input//1B6IqK-0002tr-4k-D: Permission denied
> 2004-03-24 19:36:31 1B6IqK-0002tr-4k Failed to create spool file
> /var/spool/exim/input//1B6IqK-0002tr-4k-D: Permission denied

Sounds like your exim binary doesn't have the correct permissions. Should be
something like

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root

make install should set this up correctly - did you install by hand perhaps?

> I also get the Error Message 550 Relay No Permitted when trying to
> send email from an MUA such as Outlook Express or SquirrelMail.
>
> Does anyone have a solution as the what might be causing this or how
> to fix it?

Look for 'relay_from_hosts' in your config file. Assuming you're using
Squirrelmail in smtp server mode (rather than sendmail mode), you need to
add the IP that SM sits on to this hostlist (127.0.0.1 if SM runs on the
same server and its setup to use 127.0.0.1 for its SMTP server). Also the IP
of the client you're running OE on (although you might look at SMTP auth for
this as a more secure longer-term solution).

This assumes you started with the default config file. If not, I suggest you
take a look at it - this structure is all set up for you to drop things
into, and the comments there help a lot, too.

Peter