RE: [Exim] Why no plugin architecture for exim?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Nigel Metheringham
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: RE: [Exim] Why no plugin architecture for exim?
On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:28, Dickenson, Steven wrote:
> There was a patch a while ago that made the local_scan function dynamically
> loadable. I'm not sure if it's since been included in the base source, but
> the Debian package has it applied.

Its packaged with the SA-Exim releases - see
    http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html

> Beyond local_scan, where do you see a need for a plugin? Just about every
> other aspect of Exim is so easily extensible, using some external resource
> or program is trivial.

This is actually more a question for the exim-dev list, although a
little premature in that we need to nail down the how things should be
done before we commit to what should be done...

A potential answer would be that the stuff with a defined linkage
interface - ie
      * routers
      * transports
      * lookups
      * authenticators
      * acls
      * local_scan (which is sort of the odd one out here)

could all be dynamically loaded. This would allow better binary
packaging for example - ie you don't end up having to make a tailored
exim for each potential situation, or making a fat daemon which then has
other dependencies such as requiring 3 lots of sql support libraries.

    Nigel.