Re: [Exim] domainlist question - second attempt

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] domainlist question - second attempt
--
On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:52:55AM -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> That still doesn't get what I need. I need to put it in a DOMAINLIST so
> that I can then use +preprocess_domains as part of a definition for
> other domain lists.
>
> I appreciate everyone's help here - but I really need a specific
> solution in the form:
>
> domainlist preprocess_domains = ???????
>
> Where you fill in the ???????? and it behaves just like the extra fields
> aren't there.

Which version of the Exim documentation are you reading, then? This is
an excerpt from the 'File and database lookups' section (the final
paragraph being particularly relevant):

It is easy to confuse the two different kinds of lookup, especially as
the lists that may contain the second kind are always expanded before
being processed as lists. Therefore, they may also contain lookups of
the first kind. Be careful to distinguish between the following two
examples:

     domains = ${lookup{$sender_host_address}lsearch{/some/file}}
     domains = lsearch;/some/file

The first uses a string expansion, the result of which must be a domain
list. String expansions are described in detail in chapter "String
expansions". The expansion takes place first, and the file that is
searched could contain lines like this:

     192.168.3.4: domain1 : domain2 : ...
     192.168.1.9: domain3 : domain4 : ...

Thus, the result of the expansion is a list of domains (and possibly
other types of item that are allowed in domain lists).

In the second case, the lookup is a single item in a domain list. It
causes Exim to use a lookup to see if the domain that is being
processed can be found in the file. The file could contains lines like
this:

     domain1:
     domain2:

Any data that follows the keys is not relevant when checking that the
domain matches the list item.

Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline. I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock