Re: [Exim] rejected HELO ... syntactically invalid argument(…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nigel Metheringham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] rejected HELO ... syntactically invalid argument(s)
On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 15:04, Andy Firman wrote:
> I am getting hundreds of the following in my logs:
>
> rejected HELO from [200.118.112.12]: syntactically invalid argument(s): IBM_A31

> What exactly is happening here?

Well the reason for the rejection is that the HELO argument - ie when
the machine initially connects to you and gives the "HELO
fully.qualified.machine.name" - is invalid - "IBM_A31" (presumably a
laptop) is not a valid FQHN and the main thing that exim is complaining
about is that it contains an underscore.

> Virus infected machine or massive spammer?

Maybe. Maybe a misconfigured machine with aggressive retries, and no
clue about hard errors to a HELO.

    Nigel.