Re: [Exim] Simple(?) newbie problem ...

Author: Kamran Remin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Simple(?) newbie problem ...
Hi tor,

i think that i expressed myself not so good, so i try it again:

Suppose i have a Webpack ( one of these packages where you get a
domainname, 50 MB webspace, max. 50 email-addresses, etc.) and my domain
is foo.org. My says to me that my smarthost ist mail-in.foo.org and i
can get the mails by pop from mail-out.foo.org ... so i have to
configure a machine that gets mail from there via fetchmail and deliver
it to my local exim. If i send out mail, my exim delivers it to the
smarthost. If i need new email-addressess, i surf to the web frontend at
my hosters website to configure new pop-boxes and new email-addressess.
My users at home, send and get there mails by using Outlook,
MozillaMail, Evolution, etc.

At the moment, i have to create a user on the exim-machine by typing
"adduser userOne" or "useradd userOne". so every user has a shell
account, but i don't want to give them shell accounts and therefore
access two the mailserver.

Question:

Is there a way to put the users and their location of mail-boxes in a
file, so exim doesn't looks them up in the system accounts but in the
file? I mean, if you have 1000 users, nobody would create 1000 system
accounts, right?

Since i don't get mail for all users with fetchmail (some users will go
directly to the pop-boxes at my hosters mailserver) there is a problem
sending a mail to jimbo@???, becasue my local exim doesn't finds
them as a system user and tells me that the user doesn't exist.

to -tor:

you told me that i shouldn't tell my local exim that foo.org is a local
domain. i should use something like home.foo.org as the local domain.
but isn't than there a problem when my local users send a mail to
usera@???. the mail would go outside and then come in again, after
fetchmail retrieved it? So local mail communication would take longer
because of fetchmail?

Hope anybody understood what i wrote ...

Regards,
Kamran Remin