Re: [Exim-dev] Philips document

Autor: John Horne
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [Exim-dev] Philips document
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 15:09, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 14:47, John Horne wrote:
> > What I am a bit confused about is to what extent Philip is going to be
> > supporting/maintaining/developing Exim in the future? I appreciate that
> > the product no doubt takes much more of his time than it may have done
> > in the early days (we started using it with version 1.64), and that he
> > may well need to off-load some of this, but to what extent?
>
> I guess theres a bit of context here that was explained in the precursor
> to the discussion document, but got lost this time. The summary of that
> is that in a few years Philip gets to retirement, which will definitely
> have some effect on his exim work (no idea if thats going to mean a
> complete departure, a slackening off, or possibly even a speeding up).
> In any case things will change at that time, and its better to manage
> some change now, and make the whole process more community based and so
> less prone to a single developer's constraints.

Okay, thanks for this. Can I ask if support for PCRE is going to be
taken over as well? I have no idea how much time PCRE takes to maintain
but I suspect less than with Exim. Having said that, Exim depends on
PCRE.

(Apologies to Philip - this all reads as if he wasn't here!)

Regards,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839