[Exim] Exim 4.30: Strange bug with syntax error in hostlist

Author: Marc Langer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim 4.30: Strange bug with syntax error in hostlist
Hi Philip,

when using a hostlist with a wrong syntax like
hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1 : <; 195.60.111.55;2001:14d8:10::/48
(the <; is not allowed in the midst) Exim 4.30 sometimes behaves strange:

In mainlog lines like
2004-03-14 22:39:56 1B2dKs-0003wM-Vx unknown lookup type "<"
occur and at the same time in /var/spool/exim4/input a message file
1B2dKs-0003wM-Vx-D is generated and not deleted later (so that the
hard disk is full after a while). This message file does not contain
the mail that was delivered at the time the log entry was written
but contains a body of a former delivered worm infected mail.
The quoted line is the *only* line in mainlog with this message id.

I have the impression that Exim dumps some memory contents or
whatsoever into a new message file and then forgets about it...

Unfortunately I could only reproduce this on one single machine
running the Debian Unstable exim4 packet and SpamAssassin and amavisd-new
(it could be caused somehow by amavisd-new, as all these forgotten
message files seem to contain worms catched by Amavis...)

I can mail you my config file (autogenerated by debconf, so perhaps
rather ugly ;-) ) on request.

Marc