RE: [Exim] Request for comment: changing Received header tim…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Edgar Lovecraft
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: RE: [Exim] Request for comment: changing Received header timestamps
I tried to make this as readable as I could, and I think I removed
anything that was not relavant to what I was answering, so apologies
ahead of time if this is not the case :) --EAL

Nick Ragouzis wrote:

..[snip]...

| > On the practical point, where your argument is on the same turf as the
| > original poster's: A single timestamp *must* misrepresent time spent
| > in either the sender's or the recipient's queue when the transmission
| > time is long, and this thread demonstrates that admins can have
| > different opinions about which better serves their needs.

|Perhaps. If so I'd say that it is the proposal that carries the burden of
|demonstrating the unique urgency of a change in the
|current Exim semantics of the SMTP standards portion of that header.
|
| > So if a change is worth making

|Agreed, that's the question ... I haven't seen that case for change ...
|
| > it makes sense to include both times in some form, as Phillip already
| > proposed.

|.... but if Philip's made -final- sense of this, then fine by me.

..[snip]...

| > Is there any consistency to what other MTAs do?

|.... because it will often be OTHER MTA (Exim or otherwise) mail and
|network administrators that are reading the Exim headers and
|working out which version of Exim handled the gatewaying and the semantics
|of the Received: date. And changing their tools to
|support both versions. Or changing them back to align their Exim
|processing with their other MTAs Received: lines. I don't know
|which -- unfortunately my time with other MTAs is long past (hooray! may
|it forever be so), and my rereading of various archives didn't pop
|anything up. We need more eyes.

..[snip]...

--

This is just a snippit from sendmail logs, and I do not remember what was
actually put into the message headers, but perhaps this may help move the

One note about the setup below, this is a log snippit from a forward only
sendmail server that was useing the Mailscanner package, so all incoming
email was queued, then scanned, then sent on to the recipient's server.

[line 1 -> message reception]
Jul 8 00:10:55 relay-host sendmail[28867]: h685As228867:
from=<someuser@somedomain>, size=9114, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<some-messageID>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=smtp-host.someotherdomain [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

[line 2 -> message recieved and queued localy]
Jul 8 00:10:55 relay-host sendmail[28867]: h685As228867:
to=<someuser@ourdomain>, delay=00:00:01, mailer=relay,
pri=39114, stat=queued

[line 3 -> message sent on to final recipient]
Jul 8 00:10:59 relay-host sendmail[28878]: h685As228867:
to=<someuser@ourdomain>, delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:01,
mailer=relay, pri=129114, relay=mailstore-server [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx],
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK id=19Zkkk-0000UG-00)

The 'delay=time' field shows how long it takes to 'recieve' a message from
the remote host, then on the delivery line (#3) the delay shows how long
the message was 'in the queue' before delivering to the final host, and the
'xdelay=time' is how long it took the message to be delivered to the remote
host. (Please note, that other than the 'on the queue' time, the delay is
the 'on the wire' time)

I really like the logging functions in exim, but those 'delay and xdelay'
lines I really do miss as I had gotten quite used to them when the question
of 'how long did something take' ever come up.

--EAL--