[Exim] stmp protocol violation, synchronization error, input…

Author: Mick Swisher
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] stmp protocol violation, synchronization error, input sent without waiting for greeting
We just deployed Exim 4.30 w/ the exiscan patch and some other third
party software. We are getting thousands of these error messages daily.

... SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without
waiting for greeting) rejected connection from ...

I have read through parts of the manual, the FAQ, and searched the
mailing list archive as best I can but still have questions.

Is there a way to either 1) whitelist certain hosts so that they can
get around this enforcement? or 2) remove enforcement for just
synchronization of waiting on the greeting?

Most of these type of rejects (like 80%) are coming from a single domain
so I hate to turn this off just for them and open us up to all the
poorly written spam scripts. Should I mention who it is? {swbell.net}
Oops, did I say that out load?

It would be nice if we could break down the smtp_enforce_sync to allow
for different portions of the session to be enforced and others not. Or
would this be asking way too much? Or perhaps a work-around parameter
of smtp_enforce_sync_except_hosts/domains.

Or have I missed it completely and there is something easier that I am
overlooking?

Mick