RE: [Exim] Request for comment: changing Received header tim…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nick Ragouzis
To: 'Ollie Cook'
CC: exim-users
Betreff: RE: [Exim] Request for comment: changing Received header timestamps
Hi Ollie,

I'm afraid the dictionary attack :-) is not going to be definitive at all.

An onset can be an event in the past. The concept of onset/beginning is rather integral to the root of the word (seize, give
admittance). Using the root receive in the context of onset, there's only one *definitive* way to explain that such occurred in the
past: received.

The interpretation you're offering (based on common suffix application) can only *definitively* be attached to completion of
reception ... with the consequence that the header most closely aligned would be 'Reception-Completed-At:' of which there is none.

In the middle there's gray. At least as far as it concerns dictionaries or common word transforms. Especially for a word that itself
is ambivalent on the distinction of onset, transition, and completion times of concepts, actions, and objects.

Relating those definitions to SMTP one might take many definitions. But when one limits oneself to SMTP, without the involvement of
extra-layer services, the reality of the reception is certain once DATA begins. That is, the uncertainty of reception of an offered,
valid complete message (within SMTP's realm) is completely expired at that point.

It is as if I were to quibble with an officer as to whether I'd received stolen goods whist transfering a carpet from a thief's
lorrie to mine. I am certain to get nicked once it touches my bumper, but I might win the case.

In any case I rest my appeal for the status quo not exclusively on the word but also on the primary purpose for which this header is
said to exist (gatewaying, in which any delay between beginning in and ending out can have many a cause, not just the duration of
DATA transition). In this context, which includes automated tools for monitoring and debugging, the onset time is the most crucial
to tie in.

A further aspect is that the use case on which the proposal rests is not technically a part of SMTP. Perhaps there's a better use
case?

Best,
--Nick