Re: [Exim] multiple identical recipients

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Christian G. Warden
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] multiple identical recipients
On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:28:10AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > Is it possible to configure Exim such that a message with the
> > same recipient given multiple times would be delivered differently than
> > a message to the same recipient given once?
>
> 1. You could modify the recipients list in the local_scan() function.
>
> 2. The de-duplication happens during the routing process - it has to, in
> order to take account of aliases. Having delivered to x@???, it will
> also skip if another address is aliased to x@???. So you could fiddle
> with routers, I suppose and use some really hairy expansions with ${run
> or ${perl to detect duplication and do something. I wouldn't really
> recommend it, however.

Thanks for the info, Philip. Since it's possible to change delivery in
such ways, I don't have any objections to the current behaviour.

> > If not, I think multiple identical recipients should be collapsed in
> > the received log message when received_recipients is enabled.
>
> This would lose information that some people might like. Also, I think
> it's a pretty cosmetic change (how often does is happen in practice?)
> and I have to say I think there are other things that seem to me to be
> more important.

I'll have my log analysis tools deal with it. In my environment,
multiple identical recipients occur in about 0.05% of messages, and I
believe exclusively in spam. I might update my rcpt acl to reject
recipients that have already been sent or my data acl to reject messages
when the same recipient has been sent multiple times.

Thanks for building such a flexible and powerful product.

xn