Re: [Exim] Displaying host name of server upon connect

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Michael Bonnice
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Displaying host name of server upon connect
[ On Thursday, March 11, 2004 at 11:42:22 (+1100), Michael Bonnice wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] Displaying host name of server upon connect
>
> I have just setup an exim server and it seems to be working fine. What I
> want to do is have server virtual domains setup for local delivery,
> however I don't want to primary hostname displayed when connecting to
> the smtp server. Eg. 220 hostname.com ESMTP Exim 4.21 etc. I don't want
> the hostname.com bit there.

Keep in mind that the SMTP server _MUST_ display the canonical hostname
of the mail server as the _first_ parameter of the 220 greeting.

I.e. there _MUST_ be a hostname after the 220, and that hostname _MUST_
resolve to an A record in the DNS which points to an IP address which
can be used to connect to that same SMTP server.

This is an absolute "MUST" requirement of the SMTP protocol and the
Internet Hosts Requirements standards.

(and yes, there are _very_ good reasons for this rule -- RTFRFCs)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>