RE: [Exim] Howto hide the server domain in the HELO dialog?

Autor: Edgar Lovecraft
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Howto hide the server domain in the HELO dialog?
Thomas Tremain wrote:

> Actually it's not too difficult.
>
> I use a separate domain for my hostnames, than I do for my business.
> All for the purpose of remaining somewhat anonymous for my resellers.
> I offer generic nameserver, and mailservers. If someone really wanted
> to look us up, the domain is not hidden in whois, but the registration
> does not reflect LiveHost.net in any way.

This is not what the original question was...
The original question if memory serves correctly (as I was not the
originator of the questoin) was 'how to hide the helo name' because he has
a client that wants to have his multiple domains used as the helo string.
I believe that I had explained a decent work around for this when sending
email, but without useing multiple servers of virtual IP addresses, there
is no way to use different (domain specific) helo strings when recieving
email. Perhaps I was wrong in my interpretation of the original post,
but I am pretty sure that this is what they were asking how to do.
If I read your response correctly, all that you do is have one domain
for the business, and then a 'dummy' domain advertised on the mail servers
for all incoming/outgoing email, it does not sound like you use one server
that gives multiple helo strings on both sides if it all.

> This configuration is on all but our oldest server.
>
> I'm sure there is another loose end we haven't though of yet, but, oh
> well.

There would not be any loose ends if I understand properly on how it is
that you do things; everything HELOs with a domain that you own, but that
is not the same as your businesses primary work domain, but again, that is
not what the original poster had asked about.
--
The helo_data can be used during delivery over SMTP, other than multiple
IPs and multiple configs, or a single config with ifdef conditional skips

ifdef conditionals in config:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_6.html#SECT6.5

helo_data:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_30.html#SECT30.3