Re: [Exim] Need exim 4.30 init.d script for debian

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Richard Gration
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Need exim 4.30 init.d script for debian
Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:17:41 +0000, Richard Gration
> <richard@???> wrote:
>
>>I'd just like to say I'm a (dissatisfied) Debian user who compiles exim
>
>>from source.
>
> May I ask what's wrong - in your opinion - with the exim 4 packages in
> Debian, and why you didn't file wishlist bugs with the Debian BTS?

Hiya,

My dissatisfaction is entirely with the Debian package manager and not
with any individual .debs. When I first installed Debian, the very first
thing I did was try to install a new package. I had done *nothing* to
the system since installing from cd. I can't remember what I tried to
install but it failed due to an unsatisfied dependency. I tried to
install this package, but was told it was already installed. I narrowed
down the cause of this (but could have been wrong) to someone deciding
to call the package x.x.x-stable. This caused dependency checks to fail
because they were looking for a package called x.x.x. I was so
unimpressed that I compiled from source and never bothered with
dpkg/dselect again. Harumph ;-)

That may have been a little harsh/premature/stupid but for my home
system I prefer to compile from source.

Here's one of my sigs which sums it up:

===============
<jim> Lemme make sure I'm not wasting time here... bcwhite will remove
     pkgs that havent been fixed that have outstanding bugs of severity
     "important".  True or false?
<JHM> jim: "important" or higher.  True.
<jim> Then we're about to lose ftp.debian.org and dpkg :)
* netgod will miss dpkg -- it was occasionally useful
<Joey> We still have rpm....
         -- Seen on #Debian

I have yet to try Gentoo, but I hear great things about emerge ...