Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:43:02 -0800, Tor Slettnes <tor@???> wrote:
>On Mar 8, 2004, at 18:19, Christopher Baker wrote:
>> I built from the source, edited the makefile, did make, and then make
>> install. I did Exim 3 or something on there before. There was a lot of
>> work involved in getting this special version of Exim installed, and I
>> really don't want to go back.
>
>I was afraid of that. This means that you have one MTA (exim 4.30)
>built from source, and a different MTA (with init.d scripts and all)
>installed from ".deb"s.

Right. The user most probably still has exim 3 installed (but unused),
and installing exim 4 will try to remove exim 3, which is called
"exim". Hence, the user is afraid of Debian removing his locally
compiled version.

Of course, a backup of the working exim 4 installation would be in
order here - maybe even rehearsing the transition on a staging system
or in a chroot.

>Debian does not lend itself too well to your own software management.
>For instance, the system depends on the virtual package
>'mail-transport-agent', which can only be satisfied by installing an
>appropriate ".deb". (Perhaps a dummy one, but nonetheless).

Building a dummy .deb to satisfy mail-transport-agent dependencies is
trivial, use the equivs package to create the dummy.

Greetings
Marc