Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Christopher Baker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site
On Mar 8, 2004, at 18:19, Christopher Baker wrote:

> I built from the source, edited the makefile, did make, and then make
> install. I did Exim 3 or something on there before. There was a lot of
> work involved in getting this special version of Exim installed, and I
> really don't want to go back.

I was afraid of that. This means that you have one MTA (exim 4.30)
built from source, and a different MTA (with init.d scripts and all)
installed from ".deb"s.

Debian does not lend itself too well to your own software management.
For instance, the system depends on the virtual package
'mail-transport-agent', which can only be satisfied by installing an
appropriate ".deb". (Perhaps a dummy one, but nonetheless).

Your long term objective will be to scrap the one you built from
source. Instead, get the Exim 4.30 source from the Debian tree (with
Debian build scripts included):

     apt-get source exim4

Go into the 'debian' subdirectory, read documentation on how to build
'exim4-daemon-custom'. Basically, in order to build the actual binary
packages, you'll probably type something like:

     dpkg-buildpackage -B -m"Your Name <your@address>"

After this, you'll presumably have 'exim4-daemon-custom' and associated
.deb's in the parent directory. Install the appropriate ones -- this
will also uninstall your old Debian-managed MTA (presumably, Exim3).

Now you are ready to copy the custom configuration you did from the
configuration file(s) of your own Exim4 build, into
/etc/exim4/conf.d/.....

After this, you should be able to:

     /etc/init.d/exim4 restart

(Exim4 will also be started when your machine boots from now on).

-tor