Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: chris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] install from Metzler site
--

On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:56, chris@??? wrote:

> I am trying to do this:
>
> apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy
>
> on a Debian 3.0 box. The trouble is that it wants to remove my current
> install of Exim. I had a specially compiled install of Exim 4.30 in
> order
> to employ some anti-spam tools. Will this mess up my current
> installation of Exim 4.30?

Probably no, but your success in doing what you want to do depends a
little on your current Exim4.30 installation.

- Did you compile and install your current Exim4.30 as a .deb (Debian
package) -- for instance, "exim4-daemon-custom"? If so, you should be
able to install "exim4-daemon-heavy" without removing the configuration
files from the previous install. (The previous package will be
"removed", not "purged").

- Did you build from an original source tarball, and install with "make
install"? If so, the Debian package manager is not aware of your
install, and as such, you probably also have another MTA (perhaps a
previous version of Exim) installed on your system to satisfy the
requirement for the virtual package "mail-transport-agent". This
other MTA will be removed, but your current "install-from-sources" will
be untouched (presuming that it lives in a different location, such as
"/usr/local/exim4").

In either case, if you are unsure, a prudent thing is to back up your
Exim4 configuration directory ("/etc/exim4"?) before proceeding. Also,
if you are not entirely sure about what you are doing, expect some down
time.

-tor
--
[ smime.p7s of type application/pkcs7-signature deleted ]