Re: [Exim] exim and sql forwarding

Author: Mike Meredith
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim and sql forwarding
--
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:51:22 +0100, Philipp Jacob wrote:
> Perhaps I don't understand your advise correctly.
> What's about the /etc/aliases file? I don't want to use this for
> forwarding. I'd like to get all necessary data out of the database.

You've run into my prejudices ... I don't like having an MTA dependant
on having a database running. My suggestion is that the /etc/aliases
file is created from the data in the database ... by doing this you lose
instantaneous updates, but I don't see the harm in telling users "it'll
be there in 1/2 an hour at most" and recreating the /etc/aliases file
every 1/2 hour.

If you absolutely *have* to use a database directly, you're best bet is
to upgrade Exim to the latest version ... 3.3x is very old and everyone
here has problems with rusting brain cells. Ask again after the upgrade.

> And another question: What type of director I have to use?

If you haven't fiddled with the directors, the /etc/aliases file should
just work.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security