Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> Don't forget to set a sensible value for smtp_accept_max_per_host

Can I just ask what the list considers to be a sensible value, for a site
MTA handling of the order of ~100,000 connections per day for ~20,000
addresses?

Actually, I've never been really clear on 'good' values for most of these
types of parameter:

smtp_accept_max_nonmail
smtp_accept_max
smtp_accept_max_per_host
smtp_accept_queue
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection
smtp_accept_reserve
smtp_connect_backlog

I have a number set with values from years ago, but no real feel for if
they are excessive or too little. Do people running servers of our sort
of size explicitly set these, or go with the defaults?

Jethro.

p.s. apologies for the inadvertent list noise yesterday with an
ill-directed reply.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK