Re: [Exim] how to check if domain doesn't point to local hos…

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check if domain doesn't point to local host
On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 19:49 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> This would work fine with ONE mail server. Unfortunately right now my setup is
> more complicated. Second machine is now primary MX and it forwards mails to
> my old (primary) machine.

Eep. So to refresh my memory... you have a list of domains in
/etc/mail/virtuals which for some bizarre reason lists domains which
_aren't_ really virtual domains on this machine.

The original trick was to filter out those domains for which you're not
actually the primary MX... but now the MX records have changed and you
aren't even the primary MX listed in DNS for your own domains _either_.

So now you've got a list of domains for which you may or may not be
intended to by the 'real' primary server, and the only way you can tell
is if the primary MX listed in the DNS is within the same /24 as you?

Have you considered just taking the false positives out of your
/etc/mail/virtuals list?

> Maybe something like
>
> fake_virtual:
> driver = something
> domains = lsearch:/etc/mail/virtuals
> conditon = if MX for ${domain} will not resolve to xx.yy.0.0/24 or
> qq.zz.0.0/24
>
> (assume that xx.yy.0.0/24 and qq.zz.0.0/24 are my IP addresses)

Seems reasonable.
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_15.html#IX1499

--
dwmw2